June 19 2020
Brothers and Sisters
The COVID-19 pandemic has had a profound effect on the business world and closer to home the Alberta Pipe Trades College and every individual Local 488 member’s family.
Schools and training programs in the province of Alberta were shut-down on March 16, 2020 due to the onset of the COVD-19 pandemic with no idea how long these temporary closures would last. A decision was made at that time by the EPT Trustees to significantly reduce the overhead costs of the college while the school is closed. Staffing reductions and cancelling numerous monthly expenses that are not required for a school while closed, were done before the end of March, 2020
With post secondary schools still closed and not taking registrations for the fall apprenticeship classes at this time, as the future is still very unknown, the APTC is still closed for training programs.
I have planned with the Building Trades Training Society (BTATS), who have been the provider for Work Ready Work Force safety training for our members since the start of the 2020 year, for our members to deal directly with our provider to get your Work Ready Work Force certifications renewed if necessary.
I have also outlined the steps for all UA Local 488 members to take CSTS 2020 training. CSTS 2020 certification is through the Alberta Construction Safety Association (ACSA) and can be done online for no cost.
The college is working hard to have the school ready to start training our members as soon as possible. Please continue to check the college website for updates to training programs and schedules at www.albertapipetrades.ca.
UA LOCAL 488 MEMBER WORK READY WORK FORCE SAFETY INFORMATION
Confined Space Entry Monitor, Fall Protection, Mobile Elevated Work Platform, Half Mask Fit Testing
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the UA Local 488 Education Department has arranged a path forward for our members to update their WRWF safety certifications, if required.
Steps to take:
- The Local 488 member will contact ACTI – 587-585-2428 OR 587-340-3849- directly to book required safety certifications. Please let ACTI staff know that you are a UA Local 488 member and they will register you in the required class(es). If ACTI can not be reached by phone, please register on the ACTI website – actiedmonton.ca – and you will be contacted. DO NOT pay online as the Local 488 member is entitled to a discount.
- UA Local 488 member will be required to pay ACTI directly for the
- Upon successful completion of safety training, UA Local 488 members in good standing will be eligible for
- Please send copies of your receipt and safety cards to firstname.lastname@example.org for application to reimbursement
- Upon approval for reimbursement, a reimbursement cheque will be mailed to the
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the UA Local 488 Education Department has arranged a path forward for our members to take the new CSTS 2020 program. This online program is free to complete through the Alberta Construction Safety Association (ACSA).
Steps to take:
- UA Local 488 member will go to the ACSA website @ youracsa.ca to take the course. If anyone has any problem with getting on the program, completing the program or printing tickets, please contact ACSA directly and they can help you through their program.
- Upon completion, UA Local 488 member will email copies of all printed tickets to email@example.com so the certifications are entered into the Safety Database for the member
Please do not hesitate to contact Chris at the Education Department if you have any questions.
Chris Waples Director of Education
UA Local 488
© Copyright 2014. Alberta Pipe Trades College.